top of page


The Answers You Need

See below for frequently asked questions about day usage, camping, self serve, motorized vehicles, water, fire and accidents, "can I bring?..." and general guidelines.

What are the Park's hours of operation?

Summer office hours are  8am-8pm, 7 days per week. 

Starting on Labour Day Monday, hours switch to 8am-7pm on Fridays and Saturdays, and 8am-4:30pm from Sunday to Thursday.

On Sunday October 27th, the Park switches to its self-serve system for day passes and camping permits.

Do I have to pay to enter for a day?

Yes, for day use of Frontenac Park, you must purchase a Daily Vehicle Permit as follows: 


Day Use
Regular.... $15.50
Senior..... $12.50
Disabled.... $7.75

Ontario Parks Seasonal Permits (tax not included):
Summer Vehicle Permit......$75.00
Winter Vehicle Permit......$TBD
Annual Vehicle Permit......$99.00

Note: Seasonal Permits enable a vehicle and its occupants to enter any Ontario Provincial Park for day use. Summer Vehicle Permit is available from April 01 to November 30. Similarly, a Winter Vehicle Permit goes on sale around November 01 and is valid from December 01 to March 31. Finally you can purchase an Annual Vehicle Permit that is valid from January 01 to December 31.

Is Frontenac Park Wheel Chair Accessible?

Frontenac Park is a Natural Environment park which means it is very rugged.   It is a backcountry camping park with the campsites only accessible via canoe / kayak and hiking. Frontenac has a web of trails that are all connected however, they are in their natural environment which makes it impossible for a wheelchair to pass through.  Note that the pathway from the parking lot is stone dust and passable with a chair, the office itself is ground level and can be accessed by a wheelchair, there is accessibility parking and washroom facilities available.  The Park Office itself is full of artifacts and taxidermied animals which can be quite interesting to visit.  Depending on the type of wheelchair one can travel down Big Salmon Lake road all the way to Big Salmon Lake dock which is approximately 4 km in distance. 

Can I camp in Frontenac Park?

Yes, but only at designated campsites for which you are registered. Note that only interior camping is available. This means that you cannot drive your car, tent trailer, or RV to a campsite. The sites are reachable only by hiking or paddling.

How many sites are available?

In Frontenac, campsites are grouped in small clusters scattered over the Park area. The Park has 13 clusters most of which have four campsites (cluster #2 has 3, #5 has 2, #13 has 3) for a total of 48 campsites. Each campsite sports a tent pad, a firepit and a picnic table. Each cluster includes a privy.

How many people can I register on a campsite?

The maximum number of people that can be registered and occupy a tent pad is 6 (six). Tent pads measure roughly 14 x 14 feet, limiting the type of equipment to be used. Each tent pad will accommodate two 2-person tents or one 4-6 person tent. All tents must be on a tent pad!

How long can I stay on a campsite?

Campers can stay at any one campsite cluster tent pad location a maximum of 16 consecutive nights. You must vacate the site by 14 h 00 on the date you depart from the site.

How much does it cost to camp in Frontenac Park?

For overnight camping you must obtain an Interior Camping Permit which includes parking for vehicles. NOTE: the permit MUST be obtained at the Park Office during normal business hours PRIOR to entry into the interior. The park accepts payment by cash, VISA, MasterCard and debit - no personal cheques. We no longer accept American Express as a payment option. (See: How do I get a permit when the Park Office is closed?). 

Backcountry/Interior Camping
Per Person per night(Age 18-over)

Senior (65 and over).......$9.94

Per Person per night(Age 6-17)

There is no cost for children under 6 years of age.

(Note: All camping sites and hikes at Frontenac are back country in nature, therefore, the trails would not be classified as accessible according to Ontario's accessibility guidelines . The use of trails and campsites would be assessed based on the individual abilities and limitations.)     

What are the fees for Youth Groups?

Youth Groups wishing to visit Frontenac Park for Day Use or Camping are requested to contact the park (613) 376-3489 for further information as certain conditions apply. Eligible youth groups fees are $7.00 per vehicle for day use. For camping, the fees will be $5.93 per person per night for 18 years an over and $2.54 per person per night for 6-17 years old.

Can you reserve a campsite at Frontenac Park?

The sites at Frontenac are available for reservation from the beginning of May through the end of October. Read the Park Information Guide page 7 for reservation details. Note: As a backcountry park, reservations can be made at Frontenac over the phone (1-888-668-7275) but can also reserve online at

How do I get a permit when the Park Office is closed?

Permits are required for all park use, year-round. From late October through to early May, reservations cannot be made and Frontenac operates on a first come, first served basis. When the Park Office is closed, there is a Self-Serve Registration System for Day Use and Interior Camping. The Self-Serve Fee Station is located in a pod connected to the Park Office by an extension of its roof. (It is on the right as you walk the path toward the Park Office). You will need exact cash. Please read the instructions posted on the Self-Serve Fee Station wall carefully

Where can I park my vehicle?

Parking facilities are provided adjacent to the Park Office. Vehicle access to Big Salmon Lake and Arab Lake is permitted from late April to late October, yearly. Parking facilities at these locations are limited. From November 1 to late April, the road to Big Salmon Lake is closed to vehicles and visitors must park in one of the lots adjacent to the Park Office.

Once you have obtained your permit, you must park your vehicle at a parking lot prior to embarking on your trip. Leave a copy of your valid permit on your vehicle's dashboard.

Are motorboats permitted on the interior lakes of the Park?

No. A regulation introduced in September (1983) prohibits the use of motors. Electric motors may be used on Big Salmon Lake only. Note that whenever you bring a vessel into an Ontario provincial park, you require a valid permit.

Can I use my mountain bike, ATV, horse, etc. on the Park's trails?

No. The use of mountain bikes, bicycles, horses (and other pack animals), and all motorized vehicles on the trails is prohibited.

Can I bring my dog?

Yes, but you must keep your dog on a leash at all times while in the Park. You must also pick-up after your pet and keep it quiet so that it does not disturb other visitors.

Can I bring firearms in the Park?

No. Firearms are totally prohibited within the Park's boundaries.

Can I bring cans and bottles in the Park?

Yes. There is no can or bottle ban at Frontenac, however you MUST carry out what you bring in.

What are some do's and don'ts that I should know about?

The following guidelines are based on consideration for the park environment and other park users:

  • Hike only marked routes. Do not leave the trail.

  • Protect all trees and plants. Never strip bark from trees or pick flowers or plants.

  • Protect all wildlife. Do not harm animals or birds.

  • Keep your dog on a leash at all times while in the park.

  • Light fires only in designated campsite fireplaces. The use of portable stoves is encouraged if cookouts are planned in the interior.

  • Do not rinse soap into waters. When washing dishes, etc., remove water from the lake or stream and dispose of soapy water away from the waterbody.

  • Camp only at designated campsites, for which you are registered. Do not clear your own site.

  • Fireworks and firearms are prohibited within Frontenac Provincial Park.

  • Do not litter. Carry out what you bring in.

When you register for camping at the Park Office, you will be asked to initial your permit that you have read and understand the general park rules.

What should I do about drinking water?

A water cairn with treated water is located at the Park Office. To be safe, untreated water from the interior lakes and streams should be boiled at a rolling boil for a minimum of 1 minute prior to consumption. (It can also be filtered and treated with purification chemicals.) The evening meal is an ideal time to boil the next day’s water for drinking.

Are there swimming facilities in the Park?

There are no official beaches with lifeguards in Frontenac. However, numerous small sandy beaches are found on the lakes in the interior of the Park. Caution should be used if swimming anywhere in the Park.

We are coming in a for day of canoeing and a picnic, can I build a fire?

No, fires are permitted only at designated campsites. All hikers, campers and fishing enthusiasts are encouraged to use backpacking stoves to reduce the risk of forest fires and help the Park's environment.

What should I do if I have a serious accident within Frontenac Park?

In the interior of the Park, help is not close at hand. This is all the more reason to exercise caution at all times. A good quality first aid kit is a must while travelling in the Park's interior. There is an outside public phone at the Park Office - call 911 in an emergency. Mobile phone service is not reliable in the Park area.

bottom of page